History of
The Club

De Groote Club Doctrina et Amicitia

In 1788 Doctrina et Amicitia was formed, a reading companionship with members who were also members of the politcal movement called 'Vaderlandsche Societeit' which earlier that year was banned by the government. Originating from the merchant city of Amsterdam's' judiciary, the civil-law legal and the civil service communities. It functioned as a meeting ground where revolutionary committees were formed.

Society club 'de Groote Club' was founded in 1872 with the aim 'to promote pleasant alliances between members in well-designed chambers'. Accordingly, a building was erected on the corner of the Kalverstraat and Dam square. In 1922 Doctrina et Amicitia merged with the Society 'de Groote Club'; they continued together under the name 'Sociëteit De Groote Club Doctrina et Amicitia'.

During the Second World War the building was seized by the Germans and sold to an insurance company called 'De Nederlanden van 1845' with the assurance that the Club would be able to buy back their premises after the liberation. Unfortunately, this promise was never documented. De Groote Club therefore suffered financial hardships and was unable to afford the, at this point, highly increased rent. This led to the abandonment of the building in 1975. A merger with the Industrieele Club that same year was a godsend and meant both clubs would unite as one in the property of the Industrieele Club and continue under the name 'Industriele Groote Club' (IGC).

De Industrieele Club

In April 1913, in the house of entrepreneur Mr. Goedkoop, it was decided to establish the Industrieele Club, with the objective of establishing a centre for the emerging Dutch industry and trade. The founding members consisted of major industrialists and other entrepreneurs from all over the Netherlands. It was a national association, with Amsterdam serving as its domicile. The Industrieele Club started in 1913 with 178 members, yet without a property to settle in. This changed when the Industriele Club initiated the construction of the property between 1913-1916 on Dam square called 'Industria'. On the 8th of January 1916, the Club was able to take residence in the property. By then the club counted 300 members, mainly businesses.

The Koninklijke Industrieele Groote Club

The Industrieele Groote Club has been operational under this name since 1975 in the 'Industria' property located on the Dam. To this day the club remains operational in this building on the first and second floor. In 2013 the club was awarded with a royal distinction, henceforth continued with the name 'Koninklijke Industrieele Groote Club'.

Currently all members consist of company members (stemming from the 'Industrieele Club) and private members (stemming from the 'Groote Club Doctrina et Amicitia'). The club is a world of its own located in the city of Amsterdam, where members can relax accompanied by their guests.

History of origin


Foundation Doctrina et Amicitia


Foundation Sociëteit de Groote Club


Foundation Industrieele Club


Merger of Doctrina et Amicitia and Sociëteit de Groote Club


Merger with Industrieele Club after which Industrieele Groote Club was formed


The Club receives the designation Royal and has since been called Koninklijke Industrieele Groote Club

Property 'Industria'

The Industrieele Club building Industria was designed by architect Foeke Kuipers. For the design of Industria, Kuipers was inspired by the nearby located 'Beurs van Berlage'. Similarly, Industria is built with brick combined with elements of natural stones and sculptures carefully constructed into the façade. Another similarity with the nearby 'Beurs van Berlage' is that on each side of the building the façade has a different design, leaning on the urban planning context of the different buildings, and constructed accordingly. The construction was initiated in 1913. However, during the groundwork construction, the upper remains of the medieval lock system walls of the dam in the Amstel were discovered. It turned out to be the lock which forms part of the legend of the gunpowder ship, from which the so-called expression 'Drumming on the Beurs' originates. Construction was eventually completed on January 8th 1916 after encountering several other interruptions. The building was officially opened on that day by the then Minister of Agriculture, Industry and Trade, Mr Posthuma.

The interior design

Kuipers not only designed the building, but was also responsible for the furnishings. The unity between architecture and interior design signifies Industria is part of the illustrious row of early twentieth century buildings designed as 'community art' where art and applied art support and accentuate architecture.

The interior designed by Foeke Kuipers has remained partly intact. In addition to permanent features such as the parquet floor, wood panelling and ceilings, there are also various decorative wrought iron lamps and gates, stained glass screens and pieces of furniture still present in their original state. Even though each hall has its own style, there is a common thread between each room, mainly with the wood panelling, stained glass windows and ceilings with square fields.

Heritage Foundation of the Koninklijke IGC

In addition to the society club, there is also the Heritage Foundation of the Koninklijke IGC. The aim of this foundation is: promoting the preservation of the monumental ambience of the decor of the building Industria, for the benefit of all those interested in architecture and interior design from the construction period of Industria. Here you will find all information about the Foundation and its entire objective.